Mathias Legler, the founder of the weaving mill that began in 1856, was from Diesbach. For years he was involved in home weaving. The success of the company lead to the construction of the first building in 1870.
In 1888 the Legler family broke new ground in energy production and the use of electricity. The water from the nearby waterfall Diesbach was used to power a hydroelectric generator. This was the first power plant of its kind in Switzerland at the time.
The spinnery business flourished which lead to the construction of the "new spinnery" in 1910, a building with a flat roof, which was also a novelty at the time.
After the Second World War the spinnery lost its importance, but starting in 1966 the mill was once again in operation and focused on weaving.
Already in 1875 the Legler family took the chance to go abroad. In Ponte San Pietro next to Bergamo (Italy) they founded another spinnery and weaving mill. From there the international textile enterprise was formed, which was considered one of the biggest in Europe after the Second World War.
In 2001 the production in Diesbach was permanently shut down.
(Source: Industriekultur im Kanton Glarus, Streifzüge durch 250 Jahre Geschichte und Architektur)